Parents & families
Have you come to a crossroad as a parent, unsure about how to move forward? If so, maybe you and your family could benefit from family counselling.
Are you looking for a way to help your child navigate the trials and tribulations of their teenage years? Are you unsure how to help your child thrive at school, at home or with their peers?
Childhood, adolescence and young adulthood can be tricky times. Each phase of development is unique, and presents new opportunities and challenges.
Childhood is an exciting time of growth and learning, but as a parent you can sometimes struggle to know how to best support your child to thrive in life.
Adolescence is a whirlwind experience, at times everything is smooth sailing, yet at other times come soaring highs and crashing lows. Finding your way through it all - as a teenager, a parent or as a family - can, at times, feel overwhelming.
Young adulthood presents new opportunities and challenges. How do you help your young adult move toward independence, engage in study or work, and make the most out of life?
These are common challenges shared by many parents as they aim to give their child the best opportunities in life, while juggling the other responsibilities that come with everyday life.
Maybe you can relate to some of these concerns?
- Worry that your child or teen is showing out of character behaviour
- Difficulty getting your child or teen to participate in family life
- Family conflict and constant arguing that doesn't get resolved
- Negotiating boundaries and discipline with your child or teen
- Separation and divorce causing your child or teen emotional distress
- Difficulty coping after a traumatic or upsetting life event
I understand the frustration, worry and sadness that can come form dealing with these concerns.
Counselling for your child, teen or family could help lift the burden of these concerns and create new possibilities.
I am a psychologist, dedicated to supporting children (6-11 years), teenagers (12 - 18) and young people (19-29) and their families to move toward a more hopeful future. I have had the privilege of working with many young people from all walks of life across a range of different settings, including schools, community organisations and private practice.
I appreciate the many challenges young people face as they move through school, establish their own identity and negotiate relationships with friends and family. I aim to provide a safe and supportive environment where young people are empowered to have a voice, and to move toward a life that is consistent with their hopes and their values.
I understand the difficulties parents face as they juggle the demands of everyday life and the needs of their children. Supporting parents and families is also an important part of the work I do.
Engaging in counselling for your child, your teen, your family or yourself as a parent can bring many benefits, such as:
- A new perspective on old problems
- Creative strategies for dealing with difficult situations
- An opportunity to come together as a family and work through problems in a constructive and supportive way
- Relief from carrying the sole responsibility for the wellbeing of your child and your family
- A renewed connection to the hopes, dreams and values you hold as a parent and as a family
- An opportunity for your child, teenager or young adult to turn problems into opportunities for growth and learning
- Validation of the strengths you, your child and your family have
- Access to the latest ideas and practical strategies in the fields of psychology, neuroscience and therapy
Why choose me to work with your child, teen or family?
- My approach is compassionate, creative and down to earth, with a focus on supporting people to achieve positive changes in their lives.
- I am trained in a range of approaches, and tailor counselling to meet the needs, hopes and interests of your child, teenager or family.
- I have experience working with young people from all walks of life in schools, community organisations and private practice.
- I committed to my work and genuinely love what I do.
Growing up can be challenging, but it doesn't have to be impossible. I am committed to supporting young people and families to find new ways of relating to the world, and each other.
Find out more about my down to earth, engaging and effective counselling services here:
To find out if my approach is a good fit for you, your child or you family, call me on 0420 20 322 for a free 15-minute telephone consultation.Contact Emily